1-1/2 cups organic basmati brown rice, rinsed
1/2 cup organic pinto beans, sorted and rinsed
A postage stamp-sized piece of kombu sea vegetable
- Soak rice and beans separately.
- For each cup of the combined dry ingredients (beans and rice) use 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups of water.
- Place rice in a bowl with the pre-measured amount of water for the combined dry ingredients.
- Soak rice 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Place beans in a separate bowl with water to cover by 2 inches and soak 6 to 8 hours or over night.
- Discard the bean soaking water and rinse the beans well.
- Soak the kombu in a small amount of water for a few minutes until soft.
- Place kombu, beans and rice in the pressure cooker, along with the soaking water from the grain and kombu. The water level should cover the grain by 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and bring to full pressure on a medium high flame.
- Reduce the flame to medium low and place a flame deflector under the pressure cooker. Cook for 50 minutes.
- Remove cooker from the flame and allow the pressure to come down naturally.
- As soon as the pressure comes down, transfer the rice to a serving bowl, using a moistened rice paddle.
- Cover with a sushi mat.